Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SRI CHINMOY - POETRY





File:Sri-Chinmoy-meditate-2.jpg



Sri Chinmoy (27 August 1931 – 11 October 2007), born Chinmoy Kumar Ghose, was an Indian spiritual Master who began teaching meditation in the West when he moved to New York City in 1964. A prolific author, artist, poet, athlete and musician, he is perhaps best known for holding public events on the theme of inner peace (such as concerts, meditations, and races). He taught meditation on the spiritual heart as a core spiritual practice, as well as encouraging prayer and performing dedicated selfless-service as a way to personal enlightenment,  or God - realisation  as described by Eastern religions.




Sri Chinmoy wrote many volumes of spiritual poetry. Sri Chinmoy lived according to his feeling that poetry is a unique medium for offering a glimpse of the higher worlds – a consciousness beyond the ordinary and mundane.


In addition to being a noted poet Sri Chinmoy was also known for his many achievement in the fields of music, literature, and art. As well as being a prolific poet, Sri Chinmoy was an equally prolific composer of spiritual music, composing almost 21,000 devotional songs.


Sri Chinmoy also dedicated his life to the pursuit of world peace and understanding between the peoples, cultures and religions of the world. To further this goal, he offered many concerts of peaceful meditative music around the world, as he felt music was a universal language that all could share in and relate to. Sri Chinmoy  is also the founder of the Sri Chinmoy Oneness-Home Peace Run, the world’s largest relay for peace, which travels to over 100 countries every year spreading the message of international friendship and harmony.






Selected Poems of Sri Chinmoy


The Absolute

No mind, no form, I only exist;
   Now ceased all will and thought;
The final end of Nature’s dance,
   I am it whom I have sought.

A realm of Bliss bare, ultimate;
   Beyond both knower and known;
A rest immense I enjoy at last;
   I face the One alone.

I have crossed the secret ways of life,
   I have become the Goal.
The Truth immutable is revealed;
   I am the way, the God-Soul.

My spirit aware of all the heights,
   I am mute in the core of the Sun.
I barter nothing with time and deeds;
   My cosmic play is done.





The Golden Flute

A sea of Peace and Joy and Light
   Beyond my reach I know.
In me the storm-tossed weeping night
   Finds room to rage and flow.

I cry aloud, but all in vain;
   I helpless, the earth unkind
What soul of might can share my pain?
   Death-dart alone I find.

A raft am I on the sea of Time,
   My oars are washed away.
How can I hope to reach the clime
   Of God’s eternal Day?

But hark! I hear Thy golden Flute,
   Its notes bring the Summit down.
Now safe am I, O Absolute!
   Gone death, gone night’s stark frown!









Apocalypse

Within, without the cosmos wide am I;
In joyful sweep I loose forth and draw back all.
A birthless deathless Spirit that moves and is still
Ever abides within to hear my call.

I who create on earth my joys and doles
To fulfil my matchless quest in all my play,
I veil my face of truth with golden hues
And see the serpent night and python day.

A Consciousness Bliss I feel in each breath;
I am the self amorous child of the Sun.
At will I break and build my symbol sheath
And freely enjoy the world’s unshadowed fun.











Between Nothingness and Eternity

Barren of events,
Rich in pretensions
My earthly life.





Obscurity
My real name.





Wholly unto myself
I exist.





I wrap no soul
In my embrace.





No mentor worthy
Of my calibre
Have I.





I am all alone
Between failure
And frustration.





I am the red thread
Between
Nothingness
And Eternity.







Supreme, teach me how to surrender

O grant my heart love!
Grant my heart oneness-love
To accept the whole world
As its own.
I do not want to see any suffering
In the hearts of all the three worlds.



Translation of Bishwa bhuvan karite apan

Beyond thought and beyond the mind,
O beautiful One, You abide.
Do fulfil this body, vital, mind and heart of mine.
May I have this sense of fulfilment
In all my achievements,
Taking shelter at Your Feet divine.



Translation of Chinta atite maner atite sundara

Loving this world,
I have entered into this life of darkness-night
Smilingly,
With the hope to transform this sombre world.
This is not my game, this is Your own world-game.
I bow to You again and again.
Smashing asunder my life’s somnolent door, Mother,
Today capture and claim my heart for good.



Translation of Dharanire basi bhalo

The life divine shall dawn.
Each human life shall smile.
All the cosmic gods shall descend,
Loving this world of ours.



Translation of Dibya jiban asibe

Inside of me is the beauty of endless forms.
Although in the outer life I am useless
And of no consequence,
O Lord of the Universe,
Do capture me and claim me
As Your own, very own.



Translation of Antare mor ananta rup

In atom and in pollen
And in human frames
My life abides.
All beauty am I, immutable am I.
I drink my ambrosia all alone.



Translation of Anute renute sakala tanute

I am ready to believe that You love
the Duet of this world.
But tell me, who has created poverty,
suffering, wild mockery
And death pangs, if not You?



Translation of Basiyacho bhalo dharanir dhuli ta nahe karinu bishwas

Truth is my life.
Truth is my meditation.
Always I seek for ever-transcending Truth.
This Truth knows no end;
This Truth transcends itself in Infinity’s Light.



Translation of Satya amar pran satya amar dhyan

May the finite lose its existence-life
In the heart of the Ocean of Delight.
May my heart-lyre play the ecstasy-music
Of Transcendence-Height.



Translation of Sima mile jak asimer buke ananda parabare

Infinity has accepted me.
Alas, I cannot house Infinity.
No words have I, no hope have I.
Long lost have I my reminiscence-light.
Yet my old virtuous life
Has made me see the great Silence-Light.



Translation of Simar majhare

All human lives are dear to me.
Nobody is a stranger to me.
The whole world is mine,
My soul-garment and my own peace-vest.





Silence, silence,
You are the Infinity
Of my soul’s dawn.
Silence, silence,
You are the hope-vine
Of my body’s night.



Translation of Nirabata nirabata